Vacations are awesome. Beach trips are even better. We seem to always over-pack and take more than we need. But invariably, there’s something we didn’t pack that we wished we had. And when we get home, I swear we’re going to pack lighter next time.
So, what do you need to bring?
The answer to that depends on whether you are driving or flying. Either way, you’re going to want to pack lighter so you have less to bring home when you’re exhausted from all that fun.
As far as clothes go, we always over-pack. You will need a swimsuit or two, a few shirts/tops and shorts or skirts. Much fewer than you think you will need. Depending on the time of year, you may need a light sweater if you plan to go out in the evening.
No matter which form of transportation you are utilizing, there are some essentials for your trip. Some of these items can be purchased locally and save space for other important items you want to cram into that suitcase, like a good book.
- First-aid kit (travel size)
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Bug spray
- Towels for the beach
- Beach mats
- Beach toys especially if you have smaller kids
- If you are traveling with toddlers and have room, you may want to bring a small inflatable pool. This can provide a lot of entertainment for them without you having to be constantly at the water’s edge.
- Baby powder (helps remove the sand from your feet)
- Shade providers
- Umbrellas, pop-up tents or canopies
- Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor (the beach is very windy) These can be purchased from Walmart for $20
- Beach wagon (If you’re not staying directly on the beach, you might want to invest in one. They can save you a lot of headaches and provide tons of convenience.
- Water (It’s important to stay hydrated while in the sun. Bring even more water if you plan to consume adult beverages.)
- Snacks, lots of snacks. You know that feeling when you’re ready to leave the beach and you’re so hungry you can’t think straight, the kids are tired and cranky, you’re losing it?…Just pack a few extra snacks 😊
- Coolers with lots of ice
- Did we mention sunscreen? Make that Sunblock. The Florida sun is very intense and you don’t want to ruin a perfectly good vacation by getting sun burned.
Most importantly, bring a credit card or cash. You WILL forget something. You can always pick up a spare toothbrush, or whatever item you left at home, here at one of our local stores and you’ll be good to go.
Leave yourself plenty of time to pack, check your list, recheck your list, and don’t stress. Remember, it’s a vacation 😊